Saturday, June 8, 2013

Transitions-discontinuity in routines

Transitions are hard for everyone. Transitions can be even harder for people with mental illness or disabilities.
OT perspective: Supporting clients through transitions are an important part of  OT. Transitions can be defined as a “discontinuity” or “interruption” in habits and everyday activities (Blair, 2000). Transitions can be as simple as having to  wrap a leg for lymph edema everyday to moving to a new city or starting a career. By understanding the environmental impact and time management of transitions we can fully help our clients.
Consumer: I have been anxious for the past few months about moving. So much so that depression has really kicked in. So many regrets & feeling alone & isolated. I am bad at saying goodbye. As my therapist tells me, everyone feels anxious about moving, it's big changes. However, as with depression, I continued to ruminate on how I am feeling & how I am scared of moving somewhere might trigger an episode of depression. These feelings felt so deteriorating that it was making me not functional. I couldn't pack, I couldn't do work. I reached put for social support & got help. I made lists, I used positive coping skills. Thank you family. 

What are your thoughts on transitions? How do you deal with client transitions? What coping skills do you use? 

No comments:

Post a Comment